Monday, June 20, 2011

Why i'm doing what i'm doing.

So i've been surfing job websites almost everyday, carefully sifting out those that look interesting to me [therefore, not accounting] and sending my resume out. A lot of them call back and ask me, "So you just graduated with a degree? Why aren't you looking for a permanent job?"

And also, "Why a job of this nature, that has nothing to do with accountancy?"

My answers, which I keep short for the sake of the phone calls/interviews, are usually along the lines of, "I want to try out something different for a while." I've elaborated this to one interviewer before. I don't want to spend my entire life stuck to a deskbound job in an office and watch my ass grow bigger each day. It used to be important to me that I collected a ton of experience in a field in which I was good at, that I needed to have a stable and secure future, but is that what I really want at the end of the day?

I look at my resume and cringe at the ton of audit/accounting-related jobs on them. That's essentially all of them in the past 6 or so years of my life. If i'm just going to add on to them now, what else would I be able to do in the future if I want to be something else?

Of course, people have also been telling me to go and work, like in a bank or something that pays well, save up, then go on and have fun next time. What, when i'm 35 and lugging two kids around? Or when i'm 50 and limping?

It's not society's concept of a proper route in life, and probably for a good reason, in a society that focuses so much on earning money and starting a family and having a stable life. It's stressful trying to do something different, looking around and seeing people going on grad trips knowing that they've already secured a job so they'll be earning back what they spent in Europe/Australia/USA/Taiwan/etc. I'm stuck in Singapore searching for jobs that I would enjoy. As time goes on and desperation kicks in, my lack of income may possibly result in me being an accounts assistant in a small firm anyway.

Is it worth it? I really hope it is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's possible to obtain fortunate dips shobags, showbags with regard to fetes, showbags with regard to fundraising, Xmas showbags, and so on. replica fendi handbags Not just with regard to mother and father however for numerous customers that are likely to prepare a few occasions in the future may also purchase with regard to these types of showbags type their own on the internet web site. It's possible to take a look at their own showbag choices on the web site. Because 1990, Complete Showbags possess acquired large amount of good remarks in addition to normal clients beside Sydney. gucci replica bags Not just with regard to individual giving however actually numerous colleges right now make contact with these phones purchase showbags with regard to fetes, additional interpersonal occasions, and so on. replica handbags The organization variations an incredible number of paper hearts within China by giving your loved ones using the much-needed comfort and ease whilst on the fun-filled holiday. cartier replica These people appear fashionable as well as appealing as well as immediately raise upward your own feeling to have an lively split in the dull life. rolex replica Using their additional feeling associated with treatment, these types of bags totes assure the calm as well as comfy journey every time.